Monday, August 20, 2007

I Hate Neil Gaiman - But You Should Still See Stardust

I hate naturally talented people. They piss me off.

If you were that person in high school who played varsity football while maintaining a 4.0 GPA, working a part-time job and spending spare time helping out at the old folks' home, then yes, I hate you.

That's also why I hate Neil Gaiman. He makes all this writing stuff look way too easy.

Want a series of graphic novels about a dysfunctional eternal family that includes Death, Dream and Desire? No problemo. He'll just whip that up for you. Result: The Sandman.

A chronicle of 50 different mythologies played out in modern-day America? Sure, he can do that. Result: American Gods.

How about a motion picture that ties together various myths about the Fey, makes the audience laugh, but still manages to include drama-worthy moments? Yup, he can do that to. Result: Stardust

Stardust is based on another one of his books (dammit!!!!). I won't say much about it here as it's too easy to give away the good stuff. Suffice it to say: It includes a flying sloop, a fallen star, some nasty witches and yes, a dysfunctional family. It is well worth the price of admission. Go see it!!!

And read the book, too: Stardust

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said...

Brad and I are planning to go this Saturday.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home